Tuesday, April 7, 2009

That's my honey if I give her money she ain't gotta pay me back

Played a short session tonight against a fish who ran like Christ Reborn against me. After about 30 minutes of pretty good play I find myself stuck $1400. I quit the guy after my AA got cracked by Q6 without thinking twice about it. It's a weird feeling.

Any way you look at it, $1400 is a lot of money, but to a poker player it's just another night. I don't care. Given the opponent and the game dynamic we had going, I'd play just about every hand of the match in the same way despite the result. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm proud of the way I handled the session and where my head is at a couple hours afterwards. At this point, $1400 isn't chump-change but it's not a sizable chunk of my bankroll either. I could take another $1400 hit tomorrow night and still play the night after. Anyone who isn't a poker player probably doesn't understand this mindset at all and despite my efforts to explain they would still find it pretty fucked up.

All in all, I find it surprising that I'm not tilted at all right now. A few months ago the beats/coolers I took tonight would have me flipping out but it looks like I've reached that zen-state where I just roll with the punches. Lost $1400 tonight but it feels like a victory. Ship that.

No comments: