Saturday, October 11, 2008

Time To Regroup

Haven't been running or playing well lately, so I just wanna kind of regroup and get my head straight before I put in any more sessions.

Since June, I've cashed out $7215.25 and used that to pay tuition, buy a laptop, and lots of other small things like food, clothing, whatever. I'm happy with that amount and I'm happy with my poker results up to this point.

However, I've swung like mad the past few weeks and I'd like to do something about that, so I'm gonna set up some rules and goals. My current bankroll is $4000, which is 40 buy-ins for 100NL and totally sufficient to beat the game. To be honest, I would have liked to be at 200NL by now, and I've even taken some shots which have gone okay. Unfortunately the swings at 100NL 6max and heads-up have been pretty bigger, probably bigger than they should be.

Anyway, here's the plan:
  • beat 100NL 6max and HU until the bankroll is at $6000. The goal is to have $6K by the end of the month, mid-November at the latest.
  • start taking shots at 200NL. The shot will be 5 buy-ins, or $1000. If I drop below $5000, I go back to 100NL.
To get there, I need to make some changes to my game. Here are things I've noticed that I need to improve on:
  • stop calling off on the river when it's clear that I am beat. I've been trying too many hero calls lately and it's starting to hurt. I need to pay more attention and make smart folds.
  • play stronger on the turn. I can't bet 2/3 pot against a station and then be surprised when they make the nuts on the river.
  • stop overplaying tptk and overpairs. I'm getting trapped and calling off a ton with these hands and I need to stop doing that.
  • widen my 3betting range preflop to include suited connectors and suited gappers. My current 3betting range is very predictable and I feel like I am getting outplayed in 3bet pots.
  • pay more attention to the games. I've been 8-tabling for the past couple weeks, which means I'm on auto-pilot too often. I'm gonna cut down to 4 tables immediately, and work back up to 6 over the next few days. No more 8-tabling until I've put together a solid number of winning sessions.
I'm also gonna post short nightly summaries of my sessions with some key hands, just to make sure I'm not making the same mistakes over and over again.

No comments: