Friday, December 19, 2008

be aggressive

Villain was 3-betting 34% of his hands. I had been fighting back with 4-bets and wider defends and mostly running the train. This is a light defend gone wrong.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (2 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($128.50)
Hero (Button) ($273.60)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 10, J

Hero raises to $3, SB raises to $11, Hero calls $8

Flop: ($22) 5, Q, K (2 players)

SB bets $13, Hero calls $13

Turn: ($48) 5 (2 players)

SB bets $22, Hero calls $22

River: ($92) 2 (2 players)

SB checks, Hero bets $227.60 (All-In), SB calls $82.50 (All-In)

Total pot: $257 | Rake: $0.50


I call two streets hoping to hit the straight, then ship in the blank river hoping to fold out single pairs with a big bet. Villain calls down with K8o which I think is pretty terrible given how much I could be valuetowning him with in this spot. So as played I think the hand is okay because I turn up with better than K8o a lot more often than I do with air, and I can play my monsters exactly the same way as I did in this hand.

Another way to play it is to realize how wide his 3-betting range is, and that even if he hits top pair on the flop, he will often have a weak kicker. With that in mind I could have raised the flop and bet big on the turn and river. A line like that will likely get folds more often than the line I took in this hand, but it's obviously not as good for extracting max value when I have a monster.

2 comments:

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I disagree with your thought. Your shove was essentially putting the villain all in. The pot is $92 and it would be terrible for the villain to fold for another $86 or whatever he had left considering what's in the pot... especially when you never showed strength on any of the streets. I have to think that you would have put in a raise on the turn if you had anything.

With the hand above, I think it would have been better like you said if you put in a raise at some point. Shoving the river smells so much like a bluff. Air or monster situation makes it easier for opponent rather than pressuring on other streets when they have no idea where they stand and if they even have any outs, etc etc. More to think about = more careful about how to proceed = better hands might fold to your bluffs.

SimpleStyle said...

Definitely agree with you. Thanks for reading and commenting!