Sunday, February 24, 2008

150K Result and Saturday Night Play

I crashed out of the 150k in the third hour after losing a coinflip. I'd been riding a short stack since about 1.5 hours in, so I needed to win a coinflip sooner or later. Oh well. Playing in the deepstack (5000 starting chips with starting blinds at 10/20) was really different than the smaller 1500 starting stack MTTs I usually do. It also made for much tougher play as there were many good players in the field.

I played well in the first hour, chipping up to 5600 or so and avoiding any major confrontation. However I missed value when I picked up AcAs in the big blind. My hand histories didn't get imported into PT properly, but here's how it went:

Blinds at 50/100
Folded around to button
Button raises to 300
SB calls 250
SimpleStyle calls 200

My first mistake is just calling here. I decided to disguise my hand a bit since the button had been playing pretty aggressively. What I hadn't noticed is that he shutdown if he missed the flop, so reraising here was a no-brainer.

Flop came something like Tc 8c 6c, so I have an overpair and the nut flush draw - pretty good holdings!

SB checks
SimpleStyle checks -- hoping for button to cbet since he'd been aggressive
Button checks -- ugh

Turn comes a brick.

SB bets 400
SimpleStyle raises 800 to 1200
Button folds
SB says "KT no good?" and folds

So yeah... pretty badly played by me. Lots of spots to get more into the pot, especially with SB holding TP.

Then sometime in the second hour, with my stack at around 5600, I totally imploded. I was in the BB with something silly like T8s and a player who had been quiet opened the hand with a raise. I called the raise and the two of us saw a flop of K 5 7 rainbow. I hadn't played any hands lately and decided to lose my mind. I check and the button put in a cbet. I then check-raise him pretty big. He thinks and calls. The turn comes a brick and I bet out big, hoping to represent a set of 5s or 7s. He immediately raises all in and I'm forced to muck. Pretty stupid play by me.

There was no reason to get silly two hours into a long tournament and throw over 1/3 of my stack around on a bluff. Oh well, live and learn! If anything, this shot at the 150k taught me that these big tournaments, despite having smaller fields than cheaper MTTs (only 300 entrants in the 150k, whereas cheaper MTTs have fields of 400-600), are much much tougher and you have to play carefully for the entire duration of the tournament.

After this mistimed bluff attempt, I was down to about 25 blinds but I never found a good spot to gain a substantial amount of chips and so I hung on to my chips as well as I could, eventually going out on a coinflip.

----

After cooling off a bit, I hit the 25nl tables looking for some terrible weekend play. I found it pretty quickly. There was the usual array of weak fish and super aggressive sharks at the tables. Good and solid TAG players were few and far between tonight, but I tangled with one such good player in the following hand:

Hand 1: 25NL
Seat 3 - JCSUPERSTAR_ ($33.55 in chips) -- running at around 19/16/2, so pretty solid
Seat 5 - SIMPLESTYLE ($58.49 in chips)
JL514 - Posts small blind $0.10
RBJ777 - Posts big blind $0.25
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to SIMPLESTYLE [ ]
JCSUPERSTAR_ - Raises $1 to $1
SIMPLESTYLE - Raises $3.50 to $3.50 -- I'm in the CO here so I repop to isolate and to get some more money in, as I expect him to have a pretty tight range with an oop raise and so he should pay me off if I nail a set
MIKEOFMIKE - Folds
JL514 - Folds
RBJ777 - Folds
JCSUPERSTAR_ - Calls $2.50

Flop:
[ ]
JCSUPERSTAR_ - Checks
SIMPLESTYLE - Bets $5
JCSUPERSTAR_ - Calls $5 -- he calls a pretty big bet which helps me put him on an overpair, and no reraise makes me think TT/JJ/QQ

Turn:
[ ] [ ]
JCSUPERSTAR_ - Checks
SIMPLESTYLE - Checks -- I check behind as another bet will seem very strong here and I don't want to scare him off just yet!

River:
[ ] [ ]
JCSUPERSTAR_ - Bets $7.25 -- worst possible river card comes, giving him a better boat than me
SIMPLESTYLE - Calls $7.25 -- complete crying call; I'm a pay-off wizard

Showdown:
JCSUPERSTAR_ - Shows [ ] (Full house, sevens full of jacks)
SIMPLESTYLE - Mucks
JCSUPERSTAR_ Collects $30.30 from main pot


So my read was spot on, but he hit a perfect-perfect to beat me. Pretty shitty cooler to start off the night!

In this next hand I make use of the infamous min-raise to induce some retardation from my retard opponents:

Hand 2: 25NL
Seat #1 is the dealer
Seat 2 - DVLDOG93 ($9.60 in chips)
Seat 3 - SIMPLESTYLE ($50.60 in chips)
Seat 5 - SABREFAN418 ($26.35 in chips)
DVLDOG93 - Posts small blind $0.10
SIMPLESTYLE - Posts big blind $0.25
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to SIMPLESTYLE [ ]
I_SMELL_BS - Folds
SABREFAN418 - Raises $1 to $1
AINNOBLUFF - Folds
DVLDOG93 - Calls $0.90
SIMPLESTYLE - Calls $0.75 -- I mix it up and just call as I'd been pretty active with raises and reraises at the table

Flop:
[ ]
DVLDOG93 - Checks
SIMPLESTYLE - Checks -- I decide to slowplay since if the button cbets, the action next goes to the shorty, and *then* comes back to me... so I can potentially trap some dead money with a check-raise
SABREFAN418 - Bets $3 -- cbet
DVLDOG93 - Calls $3 -- dead money
SIMPLESTYLE - Raises $6 to $6 -- min-raise with the nuts to induce retardation
SABREFAN418 - Raises $22.25 to $25.25 -- success!
DVLDOG93 - All-In $5.60 -- more dead money
SIMPLESTYLE - All-In(Raise) $43.60 to $49.60 -- he's got some more...
SABREFAN418 - All-In $0.10 -- ...but not much more :(
SIMPLESTYLE - returned ($24.25) : not called

Turn:
[ ] [ ]

River:
[ ] [ ]

Showdown:
DVLDOG93 - Shows [ ] (Straight, nine to king)
SIMPLESTYLE - Shows [ ] (Flush, ace high)
SABREFAN418 - Shows [ ] (Two Pair, kings and jacks)
SIMPLESTYLE Collects $31.89 from side pot-1
SIMPLESTYLE Collects $27.41 from main pot



Fun hand, and victims did hit some strong hands on that flop, but I think the ideas of a minraise to induce spew and trapping dead money using position are well illustrated here.

The next hand is against a maniac who has repeatedly overbet pots when scare cards hit. He has built a nice stack doing this.

Hand 3: 25NL
Seat 2 - AWMRACING ($79.13 in chips) -- very deep
Seat 3 - SIMPLESTYLE ($61.80 in chips)
XXXNEO - Posts small blind $0.10
AWMRACING - Posts big blind $0.25
B_MAC1971 - Posts $0.25
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to SIMPLESTYLE [ ]
SIMPLESTYLE - Raises $1.25 to $1.25
B_MAC1971 - Folds
MAXSMYLES - Folds
ZWIFT - Folds
XXXNEO - Folds
AWMRACING - Calls $1

Flop:
[ ]
AWMRACING - Bets $3.25 -- he bets out at a board that is draw heavy, which fits our read
SIMPLESTYLE - Raises $9 to $9 -- easy raise with a set
AWMRACING - Calls $5.75

Turn:
[ ] [ ]

We hit quads, but this is definitely a scare card! According to our read, villian will jump all over it, or so we hope!

AWMRACING - Checks
SIMPLESTYLE - Bets $10 -- this bet is only half the pot, which is very weak given this board; we're rep'ing a jack
AWMRACING - Calls $10

River:
[ ] [ ]

With the spade, the board is now flushed, so here's another scare card.

AWMRACING - Checks
SIMPLESTYLE - Bets $14 -- another weak bet; this is his last chance to hang himself
AWMRACING - All-In(Raise) $58.88 to $58.88 -- and he jumps all over it
SIMPLESTYLE - All-In $27.55
AWMRACING - returned ($17.33) : not called

Showdown:
AWMRACING - Shows [ ] (Two Pair, jacks and eights)
SIMPLESTYLE - Shows [ ] (Four of a kind, eights)
SIMPLESTYLE Collects $120.95 from main pot

No comments: