Monday, February 25, 2008

Heads Up Tourney Takedown

Just took down a 36-man Heads-Up Shootout over on Stars. I threw on a $100 to get into some MTTs. I didn't realize that the first one I signed up for was a HU tourney, but after finishing first I'm really not complaining.

I haven't played much heads-up so far, except for when a 6-max cash table would break down and someone would stick around and play some one-on-one for a while. I always did pretty well in those situations and I think I played pretty well in this shoot-out. I was able to feel out my opponents pretty well and exploit their style of play to take control of the match.

The first couple opponents were very weak and I would steal blinds and small pots liberally. My third opponent played very tight for the first few levels and the chip stacks didn't change much at all. However, once the blinds got a bit higher I took down a few key pots due to his weak post-flop play. This left him crippled and I rode out the match by leaning on him.

My last opponent knew how to change gears and this took some adjustment on my part. For the first few levels he was very passive and I was the aggressor in most pots. However, I wasn't able to take much of a chiplead due to some folds I had to make as I believe he hit some strong hands.

Once the blinds got higher he took control of the match by playing very aggressively preflop. He would 3-bet me liberally out of position and I folded a lot of my raises. After adjusting, I picked off a few preflop re-steals and also began to call his 3-bets. I was able to outplay him postflop and soon began to take a chiplead. It took a bit of work but eventually I was able to crack him and take down first place.

The last hand was pretty ugly, though. I raised A5 on the button, and he immediately shoved for about 10 blinds. I had to call due to his looseness preflop and reluctantly did. He showed AQ but I flopped a 5 and rode it home. Presto!


No comments: