Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Running Hot

Since my last post over a week ago I've played 1558 hands of 50NL and I'm up a stupid $599.82 for a winrate of 38.50BB/100 hands. Talk about running hot. Needless to say I think I'm playing well, which I probably am, but the cards sure are helping a hell of a lot.

Nothing exciting in MTT news. I played in the Sunday Million on Stars this weekend but failed to cash. I dropped two thirds of my stack at the first level when I flopped the nut straight holding JTo in the BB. I'm happy with how I played the hand so that beat was pretty hard to take. I never recovered from it and my Sunday Million shot was pretty short lived. I went out on a coinflip with about 10BB when my AQ couldn't beat 22 sometime in the second hour.

Here are a few hands from this last week's sessions:

Hand 1: 50NL
Seat #2 is the dealer
Seat 2 - Hero ($99.75 in chips)
Seat 3 - HAWGFAN1 ($9.35 in chips)
Seat 4 - PORKEYPIGG ($50.65 in chips)
Seat 5 - LEXAPOR ($44.04 in chips)
Seat 6 - DADONKALPHA ($96.35 in chips)
Seat 1 - TRAUMAB ($28.60 in chips)
HAWGFAN1 - Posts small blind $0.25
PORKEYPIGG - Posts big blind $0.50
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [ ]
LEXAPOR - Calls $0.50
DADONKALPHA - Folds
TRAUMAB - Calls $0.50
Hero - Raises $3 to $3 -- raise it up on the button
HAWGFAN1 - Calls $2.75
PORKEYPIGG - Folds
LEXAPOR - Calls $2.50
TRAUMAB - Folds

Flop:
[ ] -- GIN!
HAWGFAN1 - Checks
LEXAPOR - Bets $2 -- he donks into a drawy flop
Hero - Raises $9.50 to $9.50 -- so I pop it up
HAWGFAN1 - Folds
LEXAPOR - Calls $7.50 -- hmm...

Turn:
[ ] [ ]

The turn wipes all worry from my mind and I go into max-extract mode...

LEXAPOR - Bets $4
Hero - Calls $4 -- schlowplay is sweet when you have the stone-cold nuts

River:
[ ] [ ]
LEXAPOR - Bets $4
Hero - Raises $36.50 to $36.50
LEXAPOR - All-In $23.54
Hero - returned ($8.96) : not called

Showdown:
Hero - Shows [ ] (Four of a kind, tens)
LEXAPOR - Mucks
Hero Collects $88.58 from main pot

SUMMARY:
Total Pot($92.08) | Rake ($3) | Jackpot Rake ($0.50)

Board:
[ ]
Seat 1: TRAUMAB Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 2: Hero (dealer) won Total ($88.58) HI:($88.58) with Four of a kind tens [ - B:10s B:10h B:10d P:10c P:Jd ]
Seat 3: HAWGFAN1 (small blind) Folded on the FLOP
Seat 4: PORKEYPIGG (big blind) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 5: LEXAPOR HI: [ Mucked ] [ ]
Seat 6: DADONKALPHA Folded on the POCKET CARDS


Turns out the poor guy rivered worse quads! Ouch! Even more ouch is the fact that AP's bad beat jackpot needs you to lose with 8888 or worse. So close!

Hand 2: 50NL
Seat #5 is the dealer
Seat 5 - JOELSTAR ($100 in chips)
Seat 6 - EAMPHON ($40.88 in chips)
Seat 1 - JMTHOMAS4 ($36.60 in chips)
Seat 2 - Hero ($168.94 in chips)
Seat 3 - MERAKECOW ($51.80 in chips)
Seat 4 - PORKEYPIGG ($75.43 in chips)
EAMPHON - Posts small blind $0.25
JMTHOMAS4 - Posts big blind $0.50
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [ ]
Hero - Raises $2 to $2
MERAKECOW - Folds
PORKEYPIGG - Calls $2
JOELSTAR - Folds
EAMPHON - Raises $5.25 to $5.50
JMTHOMAS4 - Folds
Hero - Calls $3.50 -- not sure about this call in general with a player acting behind me still, but this guy was a donkey so I didn't mind too much
PORKEYPIGG - Folds

Flop:
[ ]

I can't see him connecting with this flop and if he has a medium pair I want to see another card.

EAMPHON - Bets $7 -- $7 into ~$11
Hero - Calls $7 -- about 2.5 to 1 here so I call

Turn:
[ ] [ ]
EAMPHON - Bets $9 -- weak bet, but still a bet...
Hero - Raises $44 to $44 -- ...so overbet for value!
EAMPHON - All-In $19.38
Hero - returned ($15.62) : not called

River:
[ ] [ ]

Showdown:
Hero - Shows [ ] (One pair, aces)
EAMPHON - Shows [ ] (One pair, aces)
Hero Collects $80.76 from main pot

Hand 3: 50NL
Seat #5 is the dealer
Seat 5 - JOELSTAR ($100 in chips) -- deep
Seat 1 - JMTHOMAS4 ($36.10 in chips)
Seat 2 - Hero ($208.82 in chips) -- very deep
Seat 3 - MERAKECOW ($51.80 in chips)
Seat 4 - PORKEYPIGG ($73.43 in chips)
JMTHOMAS4 - Posts small blind $0.25
Hero - Posts big blind $0.50
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [ ]

This table was interesting because it had a couple of good players. JoelStar was sitting 200BB deep and MeRakeCow has 100BB. Both of these guys were giving action and the deep stacks made me want to play with them. I had tried to pump up pots in previous hands as had Joel but so far he had had the better of it.

MERAKECOW - Folds
PORKEYPIGG - Calls $0.50
JOELSTAR - Calls $0.50
JMTHOMAS4 - Calls $0.25
Hero - Raises $2 to $2.50 -- lots of limpers, let's pump up the pot
PORKEYPIGG - Folds
JOELSTAR - Calls $2
JMTHOMAS4 - Calls $2

Flop:
[ ]

I flop the nut oesd and the best anyone else can do on this flop, I think, is J9 for a 2-pair. The plan is to bet my draw all the way and even if I don't hit it, I'll be betting big enough to fold out any weak hands like Jx, 9x, etc.

JMTHOMAS4 - Checks
Hero - Bets $5.50 -- about 2/3 pot bet
JOELSTAR - Calls $5.50
JMTHOMAS4 - Folds

Turn:
[ ] [ ]

I miss the turn but I want to keep the pressure on Joel. I bet about 2/3 of the pot again which should fold out any weak pairs and if a strong pair calls they are likely committed to calling down on the river, so I'm making up for lost equity there. Another point is that since we are so deep it's unlikely for Joel to raise me here unless he has something really strong, which he doesn't most of the time given the flop action.

Hero - Bets $12.50
JOELSTAR - Calls $12.50

River:
[ ] [ ]

I make it on the river and I bet big figuring that Joel is committed to calling with a 2-pair hand like J8/J9 or even QJ/KJ.

Hero - Bets $29
JOELSTAR - Calls $29 -- ship it!

Showdown:
Hero - Shows [ ] (Straight, eight to queen)
JOELSTAR - Mucks
Hero Collects $98.50 from main pot


I looked at the instant replay and it turns out Joel had a measly 78o. What the hell was he thinking? I asked him in chat and he said he was intending to shove any river since he thought I was weak, but that my river bet was too big for him to pull the trigger. Interesting play, but the call in the end was just brutal. Deep stack play definitely makes for some interesting situations!

No comments: